Saturday, June 20, 2009

The DJ

  Another chapter in my book.

“The DJ”

 

my age at the time: 17-30

his age at the time: 18-31

where: Chandler, Az / Mesa, AZ

In the  summer of1995 I took my first airplane trip as an adult to Kansas City, Missouri. I was a member of a student organization called VICA. I knew no one on this trip and I was going to compete in a competition called Health Knowledge Bowl. I had competed at  the state championship and had placed first, so I was part of the Arizona delegation who went to the National Competition. I knew no one else going. In the airport I was in line and this guy was in front of me being rude, and I said to him “your such an asshole” and he said your such “a bitch” and from there we went our separate ways. As we got  settled in K.C. MO, I realized that guy was the state president of the organization, and I was going to be stuck spending A LOT of time with him, as I always also there helping to run a campaign for national office for one of the other members.

That summer was the first time I EVER heard Dave Matthews Band. We were sitting in the presidential suite of the Marriott preparing campaign materials, and The DJ and Mr. National President had put on “Ants marching” something about that song I LOVED.

Anyhow, The DJ, and I became fast friends. He had a  girlfriend that lived in Boston, and I was dating/engaged to the Marine (See that post here) . We spent the rest of the summer palling around as best buds. We enrolled in the community college together we took the same classes, he’d go have lunch with my mom on his breaks between class. We really were best friends.

By the time I called it off with the Marine I was 19, we decided that we liked each other, we dated for 2 years, and they were a pretty good 2 years. We felt like we fell back into a friendship, so we broke up.

Well for 11 more years we played that game, of best friends, boy friend/girl friend. The best thing about him was he wasn’t afraid to say no to me, he had a backbone and wouldn’t always let me get my way.

The DJ and I shared an amazing relationship, we watched family members get married, divorced, have babies, move, attended funerals with each other for support, we really had an a close bond.

Once we were “older” we would always end up wanting more when the other when didn’t, it was almost comical the way it’d work out.

The DJ was that 1 person in the world that I could call  up and he would know by the tone of my voice what was going on and what I was  thinking… We were that close.

The past 2 years we grew distant as he started dating someone new, and I was dating the Detroit Drunk {click here}. He moved to California and then back here again, and he moved in with his girlfriend and that definitely was the end of our friendship because she had big insecurities about me.

I don’t blame her at all, I’d be upset if  my boyfriend had that kind of closeness with another woman, after all 13 years of friendship and dating is a long time, and a lot shared between us.

Everyone who knew us always told us we’d end up married because that was the relationship we had, we were very compatible, we traveled the country together, go riding on his motorcycle, we’d take weekend getaways, and we had a long standing tradition of Pizza and Beer on Wed. nights. We could lay on the deck and watch the stars and talk until the sun rose and never ran out of things to say…

Now, we don’t speak at all, it’s a bummer to share that much with someone and have them out of your life.

brittjames

I love this picture of us, this captures the true us, laughing and having a good time. This was us at a sloshball game. I worried about posting a picture of him but since he is in a hat and glasses I figured he isn’t that recognizable lol

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I even miss him now...wow he sounded really cool. You never know, this book may not be closed!

He is cute too!

Mima said...

Love this picture