Friday, September 25, 2009

Another old post from my old blog

Saturday, 13 October 2007

Amazed

Last night was a interesting night! I had a patient that was flown to our hospital from another city, the city is known for it's upperclass people who live differently, let's just say it's a very "plastic city" anyhow she was being flown to us because I was told she was drunk and contracting.

Upon admission I was told she was term (36 weeks) after an ultra sound we found out she is really only 29 weeks!! Seriously how do you think your 2 months further then you really are? She was drunk as a skunk! She smelt so bad of alcohol that I was actually gagging when she would breathe on me or talk to me... Now in Arizona the legal blood alcohol limit is 0.0 - 0.8. Well get this, her blood alcohol level was .442 yes, I said .442! Amazing, and of course this was the irst time she has ever drank alcohol before... Right!

I signed up for her because I figured, that I deal with people who are detoxing all the times at the jail. What I failed to remember was I'm in a different environment. At the jail I have standing orders to medicate the patients that have dt's, at the hospital, it doesn't work that way! She just had to suffer, my goal was to stop her contracting. However she was a maniac up and down out of the bed, trembling, dry mouth, gagging, diarrhea you name it she was doing it!

Her husband was high as a kite on something too, his pupils were pin point and his eyes were glazed over and red, and he would stumble down the hallway!

Well of course we live in wonderful Arizona and there is nothing you can do about this situation other then try to educate the family. So when she was complaining about her shaking and what not, I kindly pointed out "If you feel like this how do you think the baby feels?" It was apparent by the fetal strip the kiddo was having issues as well!

God help that baby!

So I had no problem staying up. I worked with a girl from evenings who I really like until 0200. And the "Boys" were on so that was fun. There are 2 brothers that are OR Scrub Tech's (they assist in surgery, so when Dr. says "scalpel" they hand it over etc) So we sat around and chatted it was fun. I didn't leave until after 0700. On the way home I stopped and bought Benadryl. I got home and took 2 and laid down! I slept nonstop until a little after 1400. I'm still tired I think I'm
going to lay down again!

I don't think I'll take 2 Benadryl tomorrow morning, we'll stick to just 1..














No comments: