Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I've learned so much...

This entire pregnancy, labor and delivery and post partum period has taught me so very much as a person, mother and nurse.

  • I used to have patients come into triage and need medication because they were nauseated, yet they were eating or sitting up talking away or acting pleasant. Well with my hyperemesis I have learned that yes you can be nauseated and still be pleasant, after you live with it long enough you learn to tough it out and deal with it.
  • I learned that when someone says they are going to bottle feed because "they couldn't breast feed their first child... BELIEVE them...
  • People truly can have a "low supply"
  • Babys can have trouble latching even months after birth
  • No matter how bad a patient may WANT to breast feed it just may not be possible

(All this and only 2 months in, I'm sure I will learn soooo much more that will help me be a better nurse to my patients)

2 comments:

Tracey said...

You're going to be such a good Mommy!! You're a fabulous nurse and such a GREAT person! There is no book to guide us in being the perfect parent, we learn as we go!

my two cents said...

The most important thing you can do as a mom is to show your children lots of love and to be there for them to teach and guide them. I think as moms we find ourselves feeling guilty about a lot of things, but that is unnecessary. We just do the best we can.
As for being a nurse, I agree being a patient definately shows you a different perspective that can increase your understanding and caring. Its not always easy to do, but its so important to try to have empathy. Great post. You're doing a great job, mom!