Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Birth Story Part 2


A cesarean section scheduled for 5pm!! It had been my life long dream to have an unmedicated vaginal birth.It had been my dream to have a wonderful pregnancy, enjoying the little kicks, hiccups, and indigestion that accompanied 40 weeks of pregnancy. Instead as you know I've had a very very hard pregnancy. It was nothing that I had ever imagined.

I once took a birthing class from a wonderful nurse that I worked with for years and she told a story of planning a trip to France, you research it, you plan for it for a year etc. When the plain lands they come on the loud speaker and say welcome to China. She would go on to say, it doesn't matter what you planned for essentially it's not what you planned but your still on vacation. (she told the story much more eloquently than that.

The point is, none of this is what I had planned for, but the end result was a healthy baby.

He was born at 5:17pm, he came out crying and breathing great. He was cleaned up by the NICU team and brought over to me to do skin to skin contact (that was very important to me) They then took him to the NICU to observe him. He was on room air the entire time. They started an IV for antibiotics since I was GBS unknown. He spent 2 nights in the NICU and was released to my room.

He spent 1 night with Cory and I and then was admitted to Kerr's Cottage to have billi lights. He then was discharged home with me on that Friday.

2 comments:

MindyElias said...

Finally you are blogging again!!!! More pics please :) ~me

my two cents said...

Even though almost nothing went as planned for your pregnancy, I am so happy that both of you have emerged healthy and happy. Congrats again!